A passionate commitment
Over many years Akamba, a unique Birmingham Garden Centre, have been supporting the Brainhouse Academy in Nairobi with small fundraising activities and personal support. In May 2010 this became a much more significant relationship through the involvement of Liz Formby who inspired friends and family to make a difference as part of her fiftieth birthday celebrations. In a very short space of time a substantial amount of money was raised thanks to the generosity of the local community and the hard work of the school’s patrons and their friends here in the UK.
But a one-off initiative was not enough, and commitments were made to the children of Brainhouse Academy to support them over the longer term and so the registered charity, ACEF - Akamba Children’s Education Fund, was born.
Brainhouse Academy is a school crammed from wall to wall and floor to ceiling with 900 plus kids who have a passion for life and learning. The teachers who work at the school are amazing and work tirelessly to support their students - they are in loco parents, friends and coaches and are there for the kids no matter what they need. It is a school that treats obstacles as opportunities - it is an environment which simply inspires.
How we make a difference:
- provide better facilities, including clean water and power that will meet the needs of the children
- introduce sustainable horticulture to initiate a more balanced diet and feeding programme
- improve the children’s general health and wellbeing, supporting particular children with severe health needs
- provide a better standard of education through the introduction of creative education
- widen the children’s education to sport and art
- introduce links with UK schools and the voluntary sector
- connect the lives of these inspiring children with the lives of our amazing volunteers - enriching both.